Halloween is almost here, which means everyone is excited to dress up and wear their favorite costumes. If you’re looking to take your costume to the next level this year, you may be thinking of wearing costume contact lenses. Costume contact lenses can be great for Halloween, but they do come with some risks.
In this blog post, we’ll explore whether or not contact lenses are safe to use and what safety measures you should take to keep your eyes healthy.
What are costume contact lenses?
Costume contact lenses, also known as colored or decorative contact lenses, are contact lenses that alter the appearance of your eyes. They can change your eyes to make them look like a cat’s eye, snake eye, or other unique designs. These lenses are often used for costume parties, cosplay events, or simply to change or enhance someone’s natural eye color.
Wearing any contact lenses, including costume contact lenses, requires a prescription because contacts are medical devices and are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Despite these regulations, many stores illegally sell cosmetic contact lenses without a valid prescription. This can be risky for anyone unaware of the potential dangers of wearing non-prescription lenses.
When it comes to costume contact lenses, the safety of your eyes should always be the top priority. That’s why you should only wear these lenses with a valid prescription from an eye doctor. Non-prescription contact lenses can cut or scratch your eyes or cause an infection if they don’t fit properly. A prescription ensures that the lenses are the right fit for your eyes and that any existing eye conditions are taken into consideration. Even if you have perfect vision, you still need a prescription for costume contact lenses.
Tips for safe use
To keep your eyes safe while wearing costume contact lenses, it is essential to follow these tips:
- Schedule an eye exam: If you’re thinking of wearing costume contact lenses, make sure to schedule an eye exam with an optometrist. They will measure your eyes and provide a prescription that matches your specific needs.
- Purchase from a reputable source: Only buy costume contact lenses from trusted sources, such as optometrists or licensed retailers. Avoid purchasing them from unauthorized online vendors or novelty stores.
- Proper lens care: You should always follow the recommended cleaning and disinfection instructions provided by your eye care professional. Also, never share your lenses with others because it increases the risk of eye infections.
- Avoid wearing lenses for extended periods: Remember only to wear costume contact lenses for the recommended time frame. Wearing contact lenses for too long can cause eye irritation and dryness and increase the risk of eye infection.
- Keep an eye out for signs of discomfort: If you notice any pain, redness, itching, or blurred vision while wearing costume contact lenses, remove them immediately and reach out to your eye doctor.
Costume contact lenses can be a fun addition to your costume, but it is crucial to prioritize safety and take the necessary precautions. Remember, wearing these lenses without a prescription can seriously damage your eyes. So, make sure to get a prescription, buy from trusted sources, and take good care of your lenses. That way, you can have a safe and enjoyable time wearing these lenses!
If you’re set on wearing costume contacts this Halloween, schedule an eye exam with us today and obtain a prescription before you buy colored contacts!